The Utah Campaign to Abolish Nuclear Weapons is a collection of concerned citizens who join a growing and diverse group of leaders and fellow citizens from across the political spectrum who believe that now is the time for the United States to lead the world in nuclear non-proliferation and disarmament. Toward this end we direct our mission:
- To broaden and intensify public awareness of the continuing danger of nuclear weapons, locally, nationally, and globally
- To promote public discussion about steps toward the abolition of nuclear weapons
- To encourage civic action for a nuclear weapons-free world
- Tuesday, August 4, 2015, 7:00 pm, The City Library, 210 East 400 South, SLC, UT Downwinders Film Documentary: A free public screening focused on the plight of radiation victims and the RECA legislative process. Sponsored in conjunction with the Utah Film Center.
- Friday, August 7, 2015, 7:00pm, The Art Access Gallery, 230 S. 500 W #125, SLC, UT The Day After: Poems of Peace, Provocation, and Witness: Can poetry change the future by closely examining the past? A Literary Salon featuring poetry reading to investigate the power of poetry to remember, to document, and to heal. In partnership with the Art Access.
- Sunday, August 9, 2015, 6:00 pm, Rose Wagner Theatre, 138 West 300 South, SLC, UT Script-In-Hand Series reading of Mary Dickson’s EXPOSED: Part memoir, part oral history and part journalistic investigation, EXPOSED puts a needed human face on what happened to unsuspecting populations as a result of nearly 1,000 atomic bombs exploded on our own soil. Sponsored in conjunction with Plan-B Theatre Company. For free tickets for the play please click on this link: http://exposedreading.eventbrite.com
UCAN’s 70th ANNIVERSARY CAMPAIGN:
August 2015 will mark the 70th Anniversary of the World War II bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Thousands of people perished in the atomic bombings and others suffered and continue to suffer from radiation poisoning, including our own downwinders. In keeping with our mission, UCAN is planning some memorable events to mark this anniversary and to garner support for ending this nuclear madness. Please consider donating $70 to help support the 70th Anniversary events (or whatever amount is within your budget). UCAN is a 501(c)3 organization so your donation is tax-deductible. Please mail checks to UCAN, 819 Hudson Avenue, Salt Lake City, UT 84106. For more information contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
THANKS TO OUR EARLY DONORS: